On donating to the church
- Donating to the Church has been a duty of every Christian since the Apostles. In fact, the first Christians shared all that they had, as is explained in the Bible. Only through donations, has the Church been able to exist and grow.
- The Pokrov parish in Manchester, as is normal for an Orthodox parish, is not supported financially by any government or private organizations, or any rich sponsors. In fact, it was founded by refugees, people who were destitute, but who still managed to create a beautiful church. All that is in the parish, is a gift: a gift of God, surely, and a gift of labour, free time, and money by the people who worship here. The upkeep of the church (including such dull but necessary things as heating, water, etc.) costs a lot. Remember that the church is the place where you receive Holy Communion, where you get married, where your children are baptized, and from where all of us will eventually depart to a better world. If you want to have a church, please think about giving to the church.
- Everything in the church is free: you are not charged a "fee" for anything. (Even when you "buy" a candle or a book from the bookstall, it is a form of donation.) However, as said, maintaining the church requires money. Therefore, with all kindness, please consider your donating seriously.
- Old parishioners give very generously to the church. Many of them, who are not rich, normally put £10 or £20 on the collection plate. Please donate generously, according to your means. We are grateful for any gift. If you do not have money, you are not obliged to give more than you can afford, (and this will be accepted by God equally with a donation by a rich man), but if you have means, please think and give accordingly. When you give to the Church, you give to God; remember that all that you have is from God.
- Some practical considerations. Nowadays, when people more and more use plastic money, one has to think ahead to have cash before going to church. Besides putting your donation on the collection plate or giving money when submitting a note for commemoration, etc., you may also consider a pledge for regular donations through a bank, if you regard yourself as a regular worshipper at this parish.
- Thank you for your donations. We pray for all benefactors. God will reward you in this world and in the world to come.
Webmaster. 30 March (12 April) 2009